Osotsi Claims Govt Surveillance on Babu, Sifuna After Near-Death Ordeal
Vihiga Senator Geoffrey Osotsi has alleged that he and other leaders allied to the Linda Mwananchi movement were under surveillance prior to a violent attack that left him hospitalised, raising fresh concerns over political tensions and security in the country.
Speaking publicly for the first time after being discharged from hospital on Saturday, April 11, Osotsi described the incident as a coordinated assault that nearly cost him his life. The attack, which occurred at a coffee shop in Kisumu, left the senator admitted for a week as he underwent treatment for multiple injuries.
“I had my aide with me, and it was at the time when I had sent him to withdraw some money for me, a few metres away. That is when a group of men came to me, calling me Senator, and soon started beating me,” Osotsi recounted.
According to the legislator, the situation escalated rapidly, with one of the attackers allegedly drawing a firearm during the assault.

“When I fell, some continued beating me with one of them pulling a gun on me. However, I would want to clarify that it was not a love triangle as some paid bloggers were claiming. I have my wife here, and if at all I were to be in a love affair, why would I do it in the open?” he added.
Osotsi further claimed that the attack was preceded by what he described as systematic surveillance targeting opposition figures, including Babu Owino and Edwin Sifuna. He alleged that certain officials within the Interior Ministry were behind the monitoring of their movements.
The senator directly linked Interior Principal Secretary Raymond Omollo to the alleged surveillance and the subsequent attack, accusing the ministry of enabling politically motivated violence.
“You are not going to get Western Kenya using goons despite having recruited goons in the whole of Nyanza. We have so many insecurity cases in the region, and I want to tell President William Ruto that you are not going to get Western Kenya using goons,” Osotsi said.
“Why must I be attacked in Kisumu? Why not any other town? They simply want to sell a narrative that the Western people and the Nyanza people are at war, which is not the case,” he posed.

“For sure, what happened to Osotsi was unfortunate. Any leader who uses goons must be held accountable and face the full force of the law,” Omollo said.
Despite the assurances, Osotsi raised concerns over how details of the incident circulated online before his own team had been informed, suggesting possible infiltration or tracking of his movements by individuals close to him.
Nonetheless, the Vihiga senator maintained that the incident would not deter the Linda Mwananchi movement from its planned political activities.

“We will proceed with our planned tour from Nakuru to Kisumu on April 19. We are not intimidated,” he affirmed.
As investigations continue, the incident has intensified debate over political intolerance, security, and the alleged use of organised groups in Kenya’s political landscape, with pressure mounting on authorities to provide clear answers and accountability.

ALSO READ: Wetang’ula Raises Alarm Over Teacher Shortage in Rural Schools, Calls for Urgent Redistribution
Osotsi Claims Govt Surveillance on Babu, Sifuna After Near-Death Ordeal

